This time, it is about playing with a ESP-201 as well as with the Nodemcu devkit but without nodemcu (the firmware). Here are a few notes about what I discovered while playing with these boards.
As I mentioned in the past, starting with Arduino 1.6.4, there is now full support for ESP8266.
A majority of the Arduino's functions are directly available to be used of the ESP8266 and some additional libraries have been directly developed specifically. The libraries and documentation are changing extremely fast: between my first attempts in the summer and now, a lot of material was added.
The biggest hurdle with these chips seems that timing. While a "normal" Arduino will happily wait for any kind of event to happen, the ESP8266 tends to reset very easily. Too easily maybe and I wasn't able to do some tasks such as the La Crosse decoder and its strict timings.
There is more info about watchdog in the documentation and in this interesting blog entry about porting code from the Spark Core to the ESP8266.
In previous posts, I mentioned a problem with ESP8266 modules when using a Orange Livebox (the router let by my ISP). It was confirmed by someone else (thanks you Sébastien H.) that splitting into 2 SSIDs 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz and forcing all clients on the 2.4 Ghz helps.
I also received a few queries about how I worked around this problem...
Well, basically, I bought a Wifi dongle I installed on my Raspberry and created a new totally private network aside. It probably helps a tiny bit with security but it is a bit of a pain with kernels/modules as my dongle is not recognised with the standard kernel.
An alternative could have been to use a cheap Wifi repeater/booster since most of them just create a new SSID bridged to the base network. The risk being this new bridge behaving like the Livebox.
First, find the filename name in the list according to the dongle and the kernel version
Then the module can be downloaded for Raspberry P1 or P2 (look for dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-2015yyzz.tar.gz or dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-2015yyzz.tar.gz on the page).
Once installed, all Wifi tools (and in particular iw ) should work properly.
As mentioned previously, the kit I bought has 2 sockets. But knowing that the remote can control 4 (it has a total of 8 buttons), it would be good to be able to use the remaining unused buttons. And why not, since the state of the socket can't be retrieved, to intercept and store the current state.
Maybe there is a way to squeeze yet another protocol?
It turned out that it was quite easy to do without much interference to the existing two decoding pipelines!
Meet the 433Mhz receiver
Basically, the signal from the remote will appear as a series of High pulses which are shorter (~ 320µS & ~ 960µS) compared to the one from the sensors (~ 500µS/1300µS and 1900µS/3800µS). If a string of these specific pulses is detected, then we switch to the remote decoder.
The signal being sent at least 3 times from the remote, this mean that we can intercept the second or the third transmission. The transmission itself starts with a "very long" pulse (31 times the base pulse). The encoding is based on a tri-state system which basically means, since we can ignore the floating state, that every other bit must always be a 1. The data consists in the address part, the button part and the state (ON/OFF) repeated but inversed.
can be decoded in (checking then removing all the odd bits):
and interpreted as:
address (DIP switches): off-off-on-off-off
Since there is now a little bit more than Lacrosse sensor decoding, I renamed the project on GitHub to 433Mhz receiver...